Sunday, January 10, 2010

Soup and LotR


I've been sick for the past week or so...again, and I've been living off of pomegranates, ramen and Lord of the Rings: the movies, fan-fics, and the books.

I dunno why, but these things tend to be comfort-foods for me. Well, not just LotR, but all books, although it tends to be difficult for me to read recently. I just have been too into the fanfiction world,sadly enough. I'm finding that I want smut with all of the amazing details and character depth and innovative plot of areal breathing novel!

I only expect a certain level of interest from these authors, sadly to say,because I am biased into believing that older books normally have better vocabulary and it's not always true, but it's what I've been inclined to believe.

We've been doing a lot of construction at my house, and so I've been trying to recover from this bad cold with clanking,sawing and other loud noises at all hours. And to make things worse, I live right near a rail-road line, so I have to listen to their racket whenever they decide to fix the line. (I've gotten used to the regular train sounds.

I've also been lending out books to friends for the first time in years. I'm a book-hoarder. I hate lending books because they never are treated with the same amount of reference that I;d give them. That, and they always come back with a new stain, or a chew-mark, or folded corners. You have to understand,that when I lend books out,now,I don't expect them back or if I do, I don't expect them to come back in any good condition, so I only lend books that I'm not very attached to.

This all may sound very crazy to people who aren't really interested in books and like to spend their time doing other things, but for me, if you treat a book badly, it speaks volumes about your character. Especially if the book doesn't belong to you and you return it in a bad state. Even if what you borrowed wasn't a book and you gave it back in a used state, It's common courtesy to treat other people's things in a nice manner: better than your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment